Monday, August 12, 2013

Life is fantastico!

 I'm alive!! Wooohoooo LIFE IS FANTÁSTICO! This week has been awesome. Everyone was telling me how bad they had culture shock when they first went out in the mission and it honestly hasn't hit me yet, which I'm truly thankful for. The people are amazing and so warm. 

We have the biggest district in the mission with 5 companionships and every companionship has a newbie!! My district leader is the only one that speaks English. My companion knows a couple words in English and I have been teaching her everyday. She is the BEST! I have been praying for her ever since I've entered the MTC and I'm so glad I finally know her! She is so patient and upbeat. She truly serves her companions and I'm learning so much from her. She is a great teacher and a hard worker, I feel so spoiled to have her as my first companion.


The ward here is so cute! Every Wednesday we have a movie night at the church with popcorn and us missionaries give a quick thought afterward. We teach an English class every Saturday. My district leader and I are the only ones that know English so it's fun teaching vocab. I had to pray in English and it was so weird! I almost couldn't do it! On Sunday we only have 2 speakers for Sacrament meeting and next week I'm speaking! I'm not too worried about it, but I just need to get used to being out of my comfort zone. We have a Sunday school class just for investigators and 4 showed up! In Relief Society there were only 6 sisters there, the ward is a little family and I love it!


We've had a cook and she has the cutest family! She lets us dish our own food, which I have been so grateful for. I like beans now! Who would have thunk! And the tortillas here are to die for, I can eat 50 plain they are so good. We normally have beans, eggs, rice and cheese. The cheese is a little different here and I was way intimidated to eat it at first, but it's not that bad now and I'm starting to enjoy it. I haven't had any problems so life is great! (knock on wood). I'm getting use to bucket showers and kissing EVERYONE on the cheek. 


The other day we took a back road to town and it was in the jungle.... we saw a couple of snakes and other weird animals, but then we ran into a security guard with a gun who turned out to be way nice and was our guard for a while. We actually got his contact info and the Elders are going to teach him!


Spanish is coming along. I can understand the basic gist of everything, but it's just the speaking that is a little difficult. I haven't had a headache since Ive been here so that's good! My companion lets me talk in our lessons, which I'm so grateful for because I'm improving every time with expressing my feelings. Whenever I don't know what's going on, I can just pay attention to how I feel and every thing's great. We have been teaching a Grandma named Melgar' Her two grandkids are members, a 10 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. They were taught and baptized by missionaries before us and go to church by themselves, they are incredible. In our lesson yesterday, their Mom showed up and the kids bore their testimonies and how they felt after they were baptized. WOW! I'm so grateful to be here in TELA! It's the cutest little town with the beach and some parts look like the movie the Hobbit! It's so green in Honduras and beautiful! I love being a missionary, I love the people, I love my companion and I love this gospel! The church is true!!


Love,
Hermana Sherman





The boy is name is Osmin! He spent a whole day with us showing us where everyone lived and also went to all of our lessons. We eat at his families house everyday for lunch and they are all so sweet and welcoming!



Home Sweet Home

Some lizard iguana thing on a house


 









1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, Lani! I miss you. I can tell you are (as you say) becoming! What an amazing experience you are having. I am so proud of you. Sending love your way!
    Jennifer Madsen

    ReplyDelete