Monday, July 22, 2013

2 weeks left...

Okayyyyyyy I only have two weeks left here. Time has seriously flown by!! I absolutely LOVE Guatemala! Its gorgeous here, it's so green and when it's sunny, theres nothing better! This week has flown by and I honestly don't know where my time goes! 37 of the Nortes are leaving and we get a new shipment of Elders and Hermanas on Wednesday so it will be interesting to see how many more Nortes we will get. It's crazy cause the group thats been here the longest only has 4 Hermanas so we are overruled. haha its all good cause we are all best friends. This week has been crazy. We taught 4 lessons one day and after I felt like I was on top of the world. Teaching is still really hard but when the spirit is there, it makes everything worth while. You kinda just have to go with the flow here. One day we will be studying in class and my teacher will say. Follow me and bring your scriptures! So we follow him and then he says, you guys are teaching inactives right now. Good luck! They didn't turn out to be actual inactives but it's funny the way they try to trick us 80 times to think we are teaching real investigators or inactives. After every joke our District says CHEESECAKE!! Because in espanol the word is Chiste. Its pretty funny.
 
Yesterday we watched a movie about the Book of Mormon and the geography of it. SOOOO COOL! Of course they don't know for sure, but theres a big possibility a lot happened here in Guatemala. The people here have stories of their ancestors seeing Christ and it has been passed down to them. It blew my mind. They are making a movie about the Guatemala CCM and I may or may not be in it! Legit.
 
On Sunday I was a little frustrated because every morning the Latinas in our room wake up at 5:45 or 6 with their really loud alarm and I was getting impatient, but we had a lesson in relief society about our different cultures. It helped me appreciate all of the people here and to think from their perspective. I am in their country and budging a little won't kill me. Sometimes its hard not wanting to do everything my way and the way it is done in America, but i'm not in America anymore. Ha The Latinos will always put people before things. They dont put silly distractions like electronics or food before you. They will always make you feel welcome and at home. I can learn a lot from them. The people here are hilarious. During deportes we played volleyball and basketball. I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Even though there is a language barrier, I have become really good friends with some of the latinos and I love them!
 
Ok one day, my district was walking back from our classroom which is in this amazing house by the temple, and the traffic here is nuts. No one follows the speed limits and no one cares. All of a sudden there was a blind man trying to cross the street in the craziest part! All of the cars were slamming on their breaks barely missing him. My stomach just dropped and I had no idea what he was doing. A couple of our Elders ran over to help him but another Brother that was walking from the temple went in the middle of the street to stop all of the cars so he could cross safely. We have angels watching over us from each side of the veil :)
 
I'm still having the time of my life and couldn't be happier. If we center our faith on Jesus Christ, we can't have a stronger foundation when the winds of trials and sorrow come our way. I don't take being a representative of Jesus Christ lightly. I'm grateful for this calling and for the opportunity to devote these short 18 months to the Church of Jesus Christ. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. The Church is true!
 
Love,
Hermana Sherman
 

No comments:

Post a Comment